Veterans Archeological Mission
The CAA is excited to announce the Veterans Archeological Mission (VAM) to our slate of research, education, and cultural stewardship efforts!
The VAM is a job skills training/workforce development program developed in partnership with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Louis District, based on their highly successful Veterans Curation Program (VCP). Established in 2009, the VCP is a national curation program whose contractors employ veterans to assist with the management of national archaeological collections. The program teaches veterans how to manage, preserve, and curate federally-owned or administered archaeological artifact and document collections within a structured, civilian employment environment. Skills learned on the job include everything from records processing to digital collections management to report writing.
Our goal is to help veterans by financially sponsoring their participation in this unique program.
“I now believe in myself as a professional, and feel ready to take on the world one step at a time.” – VCP Alumni
Here’s how the VAM helps veterans:
- Provides on-the-job training that builds new skills and teaches veterans how their military training is an asset to potential employers
- Facilitates the transition from military to civilian workforce employment
- Offers one-on-one guidance in job search techniques & strategies
- Fosters economic security by offering full-time work at competitive compensation rates
Here’s how the VAM works:
- The CAA raises funds to financially sponsor one veteran for one, five-month term
- The hired veteran, as a CAA employee, works at the VCP Laboratory in St. Louis
- If our initial efforts are successful, we hope to be able to sponsor additional veteran in St. Louis and at other VCP Laboratories
Here’s how YOU can help us help veterans:
- The CAA needs to raise $12,250 to hire a veteran for the next hiring cycle at VCP
- Please donate to our VAM Program – and help us reach our goal!
- Please spread the word about our efforts to assist our community’s veterans!