Today (Monday) is the sixth day of excavation. Due to the sunny and extremely hot weather, we needed to make sure that we drank enough water for working in a hot environment to prevent dehydration. Kallie and I continued to dig the remaining matrix area of our feature. Then Jason took photos of the bisect profile of the feature and the ceiling of Level 03 as a part of the excavation record of the feature.

Feature 380 at Level 03.

Feature 380 profile.

Afterwards, we started to finish the written records of the feature, such as the description of the feature and the map of the bisect profile.

Chris and Kallie profiling Feature 380.

The methods of drawing the bisect profile are almost the same in the US and China, but actually the method used in the U.S. is more accurate and scientific than the Chinese method. It is because the method used in the U.S. has minimized most of the measurement errors. Although the errors plotted on the graph paper seem to not be a very serious problem, if the feature is drawn using a larger scale, the errors will be much larger than what we expected. Then the record about the feature will not be accurate enough for further studies. I spent about two hours finishing the cross section profile of the feature. Although my drawing is not very good, I think my graph reflects the actual details of the feature.

At night, we had a lesson on tabulating the unearthed artifacts from the unit. The system used in categorizing artifacts in the U.S. is very interesting. The categories are very detailed and systematic. This is totally different from the method used in China and it generally covered different types of artifacts. I am looking forward to learning more about the processing of artifacts and soil samples.

Share →