June 7-August 16, 2020
COVID-19 Update (1 May 2020)
Due to the ongoing COVI9-19 pandemic, all CAA programs through 31 August 2020 have been cancelled. We are still accepting enrollments for Fall 2020 programs.
The Center for American Archeology (CAA), Kampsville, IL, invites applications for four Women in Archeology Internship positions for the 2020 field season, June 7-August 16. This internship is for women undergraduates, graduate students, and archaeologists in the early stages of their careers with at least six weeks of field and laboratory experience. Applicants who have completed four consecutive weeks of the CAA’s Adult Field School will also be considered. Individuals interested in public archaeology, museum education, and other closely related fields are encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will be team-players with a strong work ethic, communication skills, and a passion for archaeology and engaging students and the public.
Funded by a generous grant from the Monticello College Foundation, the Women in Archeology Internship provides an opportunity for participants to enhance their professional skills in research planning, field and laboratory supervision, teaching, and public outreach as part of the CAA’s award-winning programs. Interns will work with CAA archaeologists as key supervisory and teaching personnel in our High School Field School, Adult Field School, and Archeology Day. Interns will also be responsible for creating a research paper or poster to be presented at the 2020 Midwest Archaeological Conference in East Lansing, MI (Oct 1-3). Interns will receive travel support to participate in the conference.
Interns will receive a $2500 stipend, room, and board for the 10 week program. The meal plan includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner Monday-Friday. Interns will also receive $500 to attend the 2020 Midwest Archaeological Conference. Interns are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from Kampsville, as well as personal spending money.
- Applicants must be one of the following:
- an advanced undergraduate (junior or senior standing),
- a graduate student (including those beginning graduate school in the 2020-2021 academic year),
- or in the early stages of their career (B.A./B.S. within the past four years).
- At least six weeks of archaeological field and laboratory experience or four consecutive weeks of the CAA’s Adult Field School is required.
- All interns must be 21 years or older by the start of the program.
- A valid drivers license is required.
Please note: There will be no exceptions for the experience, age, and/or license requirements.
The selection process will consider your statement of interest, recommendation from professors/instructors, curriculum vitae, and academic record. Finalist candidates will be interviewed by phone.
The following materials should be submitted to the Center for American Archeology for consideration and received no later than 11:59 PM CST on
April 5, 2020 Extended: April 15, 2020:
- Internship Application Form
- Cover letter/Statement of interest in which you describe yourself, why you would like to participate in the program, your career goals, what benefit this program will be to you, and how your participation will enhance our program.
- Curriculum vitae: you must include your current school or alma mater; current contact information, including email address, mailing address, and phone number, and where we can reach you if you are away from school;
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- Two letters of recommendation from a professor/instructor who can comment on your interests and abilities.
If you have previous experience working with the public, please describe this experience in your statement of interest. Previous teaching experience or experience interacting with children and adults of all ages is not required, but is considered in the selection process.
Your professor/instructor may enclose their letters in sealed envelopes and return it to you for mailing, or send them directly to the addresses below.
Send all application material to:
Women in Archeology Internship Program
Center for American Archeology
P.O. Box 366
Kampsville, IL 62053
Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged.
Application packets received after
April 5, 2020 April 15, 2020 will not be considered, nor will incomplete applications.
Selection notifications will go out no later than May 1, 2020.
The Center for American Archeology is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you have any questions, please contact the CAA via email or call 618-653-4316.